Fire Department

136 South Florida Street, Laurium

Contact For emergencies:  Call 911 Negaunee Regional Dispath Center or 337-2211

Office questions:  337-1600 or 337-1400

 

 

Laurium Fire Department proudly protects 1977 people living in an area of .77 square miles. We operate out of 1 station that protects a primarily residential area. Our department is a public department whose members are on a volunteer status. 

The Laurium Fire Department is located in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan in an area commonly known as the Copper Country. The fire department was organized in 1894 to protect the life and property of a large residential village that was home to thousands of miners, and others who serviced the booming copper mining industry. Today, the Laurium Fire Department is a progressive group of firefighters that carries on the task of protecting life and property, like those firefighters before us have for over 100 years. 

Fire Department History:
1894: The Laurium Fire Company began
1894: Fire alarm system was installed
1930: The first motorized pumper was put into service, named “Grandma”
         The first motorized ladder truck was put into service
1959: Fire siren was installed at the Laurium Fire Station (currently the Laurium Village Hall)
1961: Department’s first enclosed cab truck purchased
1969: Department’s first aerial truck purchased

Current Roster:

Chief: Dan Zubiena

1st Assistant: Sean Jacques

2nd Assistant: Roger Wetelainen

Secretary/ Treasurer: Jason Lund/Jesse Caron

Chief Engineer: Jon Primeau

Engineer: Michael Rastello, Dan Rogan

Josh Frantti, Jason Lund, Dylan Parske, William Bastion, Donald Paskvan, Matt Mikkola, Jesse Caron, Josh Rowe & Dan Mukavetz